my right ear is bright red & hot. my forehead thermometer says 97.9 on my forehead, 97.9 left earlobe, and 102.2 right earlobe. oral temp 98.4. do i have a fever of 102.2?? if not why would 1 ear be burning and red? very stressed over covid-19!

2 doctor answers
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
35 years experience Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology
Local inflammation: You may have an infection which results in skin flushing. If you have ear pain, difficulty swallowing, or trouble breathing please see your PCP. If the fever persists or worsens for more than 24 hours, please follow up. In the meantime, please use Tylenol instead of Motrin to control the fever. COVID 19 is one possible cause, or another illness. Stay home, rest and drink fluids.
Answered on Jul 9, 2020
24 years experience Psychiatry
Hot ear: I am an accupuncturist. It is not uncommon for the ear to become bright red and hot when needles are placed there. It is a localized release of heat - it doesn't mean that the whole body is febrile.
Answered on Sep 12, 2020