i have left knee pain. at the top of my shin/sometimes radiating into my actual knee. its noticeable the most when putting weight in my leg, or walking up stairs. i started noticing it about 6 months ago and it flared up recently. what could this be?

Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
35 years experience Pediatrics
Shin splints: Especially if you are a runner or run during athletics, this may be shin splints or a stress fracture. It also may be tendinitis (swelling of the tendon below your knee). If your knee gives out on you, or the pain is persistent, you should contact your doctor. Meanwhile rest, icing, and elevation may help. Ibuprofen may also help with the swelling if you have no medical contraindication.
Answered on May 8, 2020