A member asked:

I have a low wbc count 3000 since the age of 18 till 24 now with neutropenia anc 1000 avg. full neg workup no frequent infections, no known etiology?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Idiopathic: Probably idiopathic neutropenia. Your ANC is above 700, so the risk of infection is low. It is probably your normal. Approximately 6-12% of the population has a low white count. I would just monitor. Hope this helps.

Answered 2/13/2015

5.2k views

Thank
Dr. Michael Engel answered

Specializes in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology

The best information: You gave us is that despite your low anc, you don't have problems with frequent and/or severe infections. This tells me that your neutropenia does not appear to be consequential to you. If you are african american, your ANC of 1000 actually is normal. I will also mention that your circulating neutrophils represent <10% of your total neutrophil complement. Stores can be mobilized when needed.

Answered 1/5/2019

4.9k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more