San Jose, CA

My wake up blood sugar level avg is 97, varying from 77 to as high as 120. my postprandial numbers are always good (120 or less). today after 6 minutes of running, blood sugar was 62!!! it gradually increased & was 116 15 min later. is this normal?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Hypoglycemia: The blood sugar can drop with exercise. This may occur more often in people with large and stronger muscles which use the bulk of the body's glucose. I assume you're not taking any diabetic medications. If you do you may have to reduce the dose before vigorous exercise, but you should discuss this with your physician first.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 5, 2020