A 39-year-old male asked:

Good day, i have had lower back pain for years and recently my neck started giving me problems. my left hand/arm is partially numb and my left leg is starting. mri show bulging disks and nerver irritation however neurosurgeon gave me clonazepam????

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Internal Medicine 40 years experience
Spine pain /abn MRI: Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine - which can relax muscles., For severe pain/spasm Valium/ diazepam is sometimes given . But more information is needed like the degree of bulge/location.. Would also consider EMG/NCS that can tell if and how severe nerve function is affected which would correlate with "numbness" . Discuss PT(physical therapy) / traction. F/u/w/ neurology
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 42 years experience
Pain: Please continue to see your doctors and also look into complimentary support such as biofeedback and / or clinical hypnosis ( See for some self-help, not to replace doctor, also search John Sarno MD for mind-body support. Peace and good health.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 20, 2023


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.