reasons for a hystorectamy?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 15 years experience
Many: Reasons can include uterine or other cancers, as well as non-cancerous conditions like leiomyosarcomata ("fibroids") that cause significant pain and /or bleeding. Like other important but non-essential organs, the uterus is best left in place unless there is a clear benefit to hysterectomy that outweighs the risk- these are just some of the most common situations when that occurs.
Dr. Miguel Cano
Many: The most common reasons for a hysterectomy are bleeding, pain, tumors, prolapse, and cancer. Now for the fun part... This can be done vaginally, abdominally, laparoscopically assisted or total laparoscopic, or robotic. If there's cancer, a radical procedure is needed, taking more adjacent tissue & lymph nodes for staging purposes. I hope that helps.