ZA

I have varicose veins and also a bulging vein on the side of my leg, next to my knee. i am 16 weeks pregnant at the moment. yesterday a felt a sharp pain in the bulging vein and it now feels tender and looks a little bruised. should i be worried?

Dr. John Berryman
Varicose vein ?'s: Varicose veins in pregnancy are aggravated by the pressure of the enlarging uterus on the mid-loer abdomen, causing increased venous pressure to dilate existing peripheral veins in lower extremities. Increasing the swelling of existing varicose veins sometimes causes rupture with local pain, bruising. See your OB physician for measurement for Jobst stockings to reduce this phenomenon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 13, 2019