Chicago, IL

can i take ginkgo biloba with tumeric curcumin? i understand curcumin is an anti inflammatory and gingko shouldnt be combined with an anti inflammatory as itll increase the chance of bleeding. dont know if its accurate. can i take these together?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology 34 years experience
Yes, but...: You can take them, but it won’t do you any good in any way. There is no convincing evidence that either of these is of any benefit whatsoever. Stop listening to your friends, TV commercials, & the high school graduate who works behind the counter at the vitamin store. Don’t waste your money on useless nostrums. Spend it on acquiring REAL KNOWLEDGE. Knowledge is power. Arm yourself.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Dr. Fisher, there is a large body of reserach proving a wide range of benefits of both gingko and curcumin. Just becuase doctors are not taught about these in medical school does not mean they are not helpful. Quoting https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/ (which is a review that cites 66 studies in the peer-reviewed literature "Curcumin...aids in the management of oxidative and inflammatory conditions, metabolic syndrome, arthritis, anxiety, and hyperlipidemia." The clinical research on gingko is less impressive but in vitro and animal studies show it is an antioxidant and may protect against neurodegenerative diseases, cardivascular disease and cancer: see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5758353/
Oct 4, 2019
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Yes- details below: Both Gingko and Curcumin thin blood but are safe to take together.In general herbs that thin blood are good for us,just as low dose aspirin can prevent heart attacks and strokes.One should be cautious if on meds that thin blood or if you have a hereditary clotting disorder,but for the vast majority of people it's quite safe to take both.I have many patients who have combined these with no problem.