United Kingdom

I dont want contrast or invasive test. what can be done to see diverticula pouches in sigmoid colon with any of that stuff?

Dr. Miles Mitchell
Specializes in Family Medicine
Ultrasound: An abdominal ultrasound can help to identify problems related to diverticula. There is no radiation or contrast used with an ultrasound, and it is not invasive. Depending on the findings, and on how you are doing, you might still need testing that is riskier, but an ultrasound can certainly be considered. I could answer better with more information, but I hope this answer is helpful.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Shaban Faruqui
Specializes in Gastroenterology
Answer in -US Abd/py: Multidetector CT is now considered the gold standard for assessing this disease. .MRI may supplant CT as the test of choice for ACD because it is accurate, operator independent, and lacks ionizing radiation.. US is accurate, inexpensive and widely available, but is operator dependent and there is no contrast used and not invasive, but not as accurate as CT SCan
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 35 years experience
A CT: scan without contrast can assess whether you have colonic diverticula. A transabdominal ultrasound is not very useful to rule out diverticula.
Dr. Reza Emami
Specializes in Family Medicine
MRI or US: You can have an MRI or possibly an ultrasound and both do not involve radiation and the MRI can be ordered without contrast if the ordering physian is agreeable, if hope this helps.
Last updated Apr 1, 2019