U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Jose, CA
A 32-year-old male asked:

Can a young, fit individual with an a1c of 4.9% but with consecutive positive fasting blood glucose tests152/118be ruled out for diabetes?

1 doctor answer8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
No: You ought to consult an endocrinologist for a glucose tolerance test, under controlled circumstances. Visit this site for more info about tests for diabetes: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/tests-diagnosis
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Raid Saco
Dr. Raid Saco commented
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Also keep in mind that the HbA1c can be falsely low in many conditions such as, but not limited to, acute and chronic blood loss, hemolytic anemia, and splenomegaly.
Jan 21, 2019
Last updated Jan 24, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.