Delray Beach, FL

I had blood work done and my a1c is 5.3. my fasting glucose was 80 but my fasting glucose serum was 143. insulin was normal. is this diabetes?

Pathology 51 years experience
Inconsistent info: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Having said that, A1c of 5.3 and fasting glucose of 80 both indicate that you are not diabetic. It is not clear what you mean by fasting glucose serum of 143.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Endocrinology 53 years experience
Blood work: A1c of 5.3 is fine and a fasting glucose of 80 is also fine. I do not know what you mean by "fasting glucose serum". I presume you had a fasting blood sugar level of 143 measured in your blood in the lab. There is no good reason for that. Why was insulin measured? If you can get more info from your doctor I would appreciate seeing the data.
Last updated Feb 22, 2016