Middletown, CT
A 44-year-old female asked about a 16-year-old male:

my son is experiencing severe, extreme itchiness on his back, no rash, comes on for 10-15 minutes, goes away for a few hours. going on almost a week now. started prednisone yesterday and hydroxyzine and its still coming in cycles. ?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Itchy back: Isolated itching of upper back without a rash may be a sensory neuropathy since there is no disseminated or total body itching. Scratching may release chemicals that aggravate the itch. I assume that your son has been evaluated by a dermatologist who has ordered various blood tests to check for other causes. In the meantime the prescribed medications should help.