A 17-year-old female asked:

I am experiencing rash (quality: itchiness, red or bluish purple, flaking or scaling, bumpy) . the following also describe me: burning sensation, flaky skin, dry or cracking skin, skin redness or irritation, and painful skin. what should i do?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 35 years experience
Many possibilities..: Itchy spots can be from many causes, such as: hives, viral infections, medication causes, hot-tub rashes, heat rashes, reactions to creams or lotions, allergic reactions to some things (including foods), internal medical disorders, etc... That means a rash that persists or is worrisome in appearance should be examined. Hydrocortisone cream is sometimes used for a week, to decrease a rash or itch.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 14, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.