Trinidad and Tobago

how to help 17 year old with fear of dentist , she has had really negative experiences and is afraid of having work done on her mouth . she has lost two teeth and has 13 cavities with 8being filled . she almost always cries fights back and misbehaves?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Anxiety: So sorry that your daughter has had negative experiences. Would be advisable that she see a mental health professional who can help her overcome her anxiety. As she is in the need of immediate dental health care, however, seek treatment with a Dentist who provides treatment under general anesthesia or under sedation.
Dr. Joel Teig
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Learn to relax: If the dentist is trained, using nitrous u Oxide and oxygen can lead to relaxation. If that doesn’t work the patient may need sedative medication with the nitrous oxide or alone. A psychotherapist can hypnotize the person and relax him. The therapist can also provide mental exercises that teach the patient how to relax themselves mentally.