U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 51-year-old female asked:

Was eating& bit off a small piece from the teeth of a black plastic fork.swallowed that plastic piece by accident.can that plastic piece damage my colon/intestine/stomache,harm my body,cause health problems/diseases,infect my blood/body,cause cancer?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 35 years experience
No worries: Those little pieces of stuff that are accidentally swallowed (including little bones, seeds, plastic, glass, metal, etc...) will usually be pooped out without causing problems. Dangerous objects are magnets, button batteries, and larger or sharper intentionally-eaten items. If worried, one can talk with her primary care doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 25, 2023


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.