Garland, TX

Is it normal that fluorometholone steroid eye drops make my troath sore? i can feel the medicine go through my nose to troath sometimes. is this safe?

Dr. Richard Carlin
Ophthalmology 51 years experience
Yes. It is safe: The drops can go down through your tear ducts into your nose and throat, making it sore. It will not hurt you. If you want to prevent this, when instilling the drops, close off the tear duct by pressing your index finger firmly over the rear sac, the lump in the inside corner of your eye for one minute. This will stop the drops from going don into your nose and throat.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 18, 2018