U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old male asked:

I m hypertensive.on telmisartan,amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide(12.5).after using hctz uric acid elevated.can i stop hctz and aldactone be used?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Austin Mackens
Family Medicine 12 years experience
Not necessarily: Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic. Aldactone or spironolactone is a potassium sparing diuretic which intentionally allows your body to hold onto more potassium. This would be the opposite effect of HCTZ on your potassium so you would need some blood work done. Also, the benefits may be different based on your other medical problems compared to HCTZ.
Last updated May 8, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.