ZA

My daughter was diagnosed with croup thursday morning at 2am. her cough was clear then. she sounds now worse. lots of phlegm on chest and her breathing is still fast. im giving her the meds. is it normal for her to get worse before better?

It happens: Croup is generally triggered by a variety of upper airway viruses that attack the airway just below the vocal cords. The accumulation of mucous triggers the cough & the weakening of the airway allows the weird crowing. The second night is usually worse than the first, the 3rd like the first, then it gradually improves. If she is not drinking & staying hydrated she needs a recheck.
Dr. SHABIR AHMED MOOLLA
Review suggested: Have you tried doing some home chest physio to try getting the phlegm off her chest? If your child's breathing still remains fast, she should have a review and proper physiotherapy. I suggest that you have her reassessed.

Last updated Dec 2, 2019