U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old female asked:

I suspect i might have bacterial vaginosis and would like to know if i really need to see a doctor or if i can just get over the counter medication?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Elizabeth Reynoso
Obstetrics and Gynecology 18 years experience
Yes see a doctor: In the United states there is no over the counter medication available for bacterial vaginosis. I am not sure if it is available in other countries. First line medication would be flagyl or metronidazole. It is better to see a doctor to be evaluated

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 7, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.