My father has a gout on his hand, knee and both of his feet. he cannot sleep because of the pain. please tell me what can i do to atleast relieve the pain. thank you so much.

Dr. Fred Gallo
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
Gout treatments: Gout is a form of arthritis caused by the accumulation of uric acid crystals. There are dietary and medication solutions available. See your physician.
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 41 years experience
Gout pain: Your dad needs a special diet and to be followed by his doctor. Also consider a mind-body approach to pain by doing a search for John Sarno, MD, on the net. It can be very effective for various body-based pain syndromes. Clinical hypnosis (www.asch.net) or biofeedback are other options. Please think holistically. Peace and good health.
Dr. J. Fernando
40 years experience
Gout pain relief: for temporary relief OTC Ibuprofen will help only take if he has no kidney problems. May take 800 mg up to 3 times a day with food. He needs to see jis doctou ASAP to get meds to lower his uric acid levels
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Specializes in Rheumatology
Unusual: Gout can occur like this but it is unusual for so many joints to hurt at once. Never the less, buy over-the-counter ibuprofen and he can take 800mg three times a day with food for 3 or 4 days unless he has known kidney problems. If it is gout, it should resolve with this soon. In any case, he needs to call his doctor now as he will need to be seen for overall control of his gout.
Last updated Feb 24, 2018