U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Peculiar, MO
A 37-year-old female asked:

I had a stye, i took gentamicin for 5 days and it went away. now i have a blood shot area on the white part of my eye spreading to colored part.

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Two questions: 1) The complex of symptoms you describe could be an indication of an internal inflammation termed uveitis (or iritis). You should see an ophthalmologist ASAP as this requires treatment. 2) The blood shot area is probably a sub conjunctival hemorrhage. If the vision is fine and there are no symptoms, then that is the likely diagnosis. These are benign and end without treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
Ophthalmologist: I recommend that you be examined by an ophthalmologist. The bloodshot eye could be ruptured capillary and this is not a serious issue even though it looks serious. It usually resolves after a week or so. It should not affect vision or involve the pupil and should not cause eye pain. Because of these latter symptoms, I recommend that you see an ophthalmologist for evaluation and advice.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 16, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.