pain in my left knee when bending it past a certain point. walking is fine, but once i bend my knee deeply/fully it locks in place, makes a popping noise and i get an intense pain. what is this? im scared to bend my leg the pain is that bad.

Dr. Bennett Burns
31 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Meniscus tear likely: Posterior horn especially of the medial meniscus gets loaded when the knee is bent. Torn peice can spit out or get caught between tibia and femur causing that painful catch you describe. Not an emergency unless the knee gets locked or stuck in one position and you csnt work it loose. Arthroscopic surgery can usuall treat
Answered on Dec 18, 2017
1