Des Moines, IA

I shot meth into my vein on side of my hand and it is swollen, my hand is numb and there is lots of redness around that area and up my arm a little bi?

Dr. Dean Giannone
Need UCC or ED.: Two thoughts. You may have injected into the subcutaneous tissue around the vein, causing an infiltration. Or you could have introduced bacteria into the area and caused a cellulitis (or tendinitis or osteomyelitis depending on what the needle may have hit). Regardless, you need a doctor to evaluate the area and determine if any acute treatment would be required.
Dr. Louise Andrew
Emergency Medicine 47 years experience
You have infection: that may be spreading up your arm and cutting off circulation to the hand. This could be a life-threatening or hand threatening emergency. Please go to an ED.
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Infection: Most likely you have an infection that might compromise the hand as the swelling is compressing the nerves. Urgent care/ ER re the only options and the sooner the better. Do not delay!

Last updated Mar 29, 2020