are my baby's sudden severe breathing problems an allergic reaction?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Maybe-call for help!: Your child could be having an allergic reaction if the symptoms are immediate. If your child is laboring to breathe, has dusky/blue lips, or flaring of the nostrils, your baby must be evaluated immediately. If the breathing problem is not severe, it is still best to call your doctor as the problem could be anything from a bad cold to asthma, an aspirated foreign object, or a lung infection.
Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Allergy and Immunology 19 years experience
Probably not...: If they are chronic and recurring. However, if sudden onset respiratory symptoms occur immediately after a new food has been introduced (such as egg or peanut), it could indicate food allergy (in which case there is usually an accompanying rash). I said "probably not, " because environmental allergy is rare in children under 2 since recurrent exposure over time is necessary to develop allergy.