Potsdam, NY

i'm trying to get pregnant, i had spotting a week after my ovulation date and now my hands feet neck are intermittently swelling. i have hypothyroidism. what could be happening?

Dr. Ralph Boling
Irregular ovulation: ovulation regularity may be a problem and hypothyroidism should be well controlled prior to starting a pregnancy. Ovulation regulation may also be needed
Dr. Elizabeth Reynoso
Check thyroid: It is impossible to tell what is happening based on this limited information. A consult here at health tap or with your doctor could be a good idea. If you haven't had your thyroid hormone levels checked in the past 3 months, I would do it asap It is very important to be on the right dose of medication before you become pregnant.
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Go back to MD: You need to return to the thyroid MD and make sure that your TSH blood test is normal with the replacement thyroid medication. If that is normal then an examination for other causes of the swelling can be done.
Pathology 49 years experience
Need to examine: Are you being treated for hypothyroidism, if not you should get treatment. It is too soon to know if you are pregnant. Conception, as defined by the generation of a fertilized ovum, occurs within day or so of the sex. However, it takes about 3 weeks for the embryo to make enough HCG to produce a positive pregnancy test. Blood test may be done a day after a missed period. Home pregnancy tests should be done 4-5 days after the missed period. If the result is negative repeat the test in 4-5 days. Use first morning urine and follow instructions for the test carefully.