United Kingdom
A 51-year-old male asked about a 77-year-old female:

on lansoprazole for a year 15mg a day for diverticulitis and for risk bleeding on plavix i see lansoprazole can decrease my magnesium.so on my medication ,especially ramipril can i take magnesium supplements as there is moderate risk of hyperkalemia?

Dr. Lynn Greenhouse
You need levels: Before you assume that a possible side effect of a medication is going to happen to you you need to know for sure. Too much magnesium, potassium or calcium can be as bad as too little. A simple blood test looking at your magnesium and electrolytes will answer that question, and then you have information to tailor what if any supplements to take

Last updated Aug 25, 2017