Colombia

I am 57. a week ago my psa test was 4.01 ng/ml. the digital rectal exam of prostate was normal. shoul i be concerned?

Dr. Jesse Mills
Urology 22 years experience
Yes: A psa over 2.5 in a man under 60 warrants a biopsy. The majority of prostate cancer in the last 20 years has been diagnosed by psa elevation and normal rectal exams. Unfortunately, some medical groups are now recommending men not get psa. This will most likely throw us back 30 years when the majority of cancer was detected by exam and was often too advanced to treat.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Krick
Urology 38 years experience
PSA: Since your psa is abnormal for your age, the only way youre going to know if cancer is present is by having a biopsy. The risk of a properly prepped (antibiotis and enema) transrectal biopsy are minimal.
Last updated May 23, 2017