Diplopia, squeezing band of pressure in head, absent L posterior inferior cerebral artery. chol/hdl calc 6.7. FH mutation. could this cause stroke/tia?

43 years experience in Pathology
No: Minor anatomic variants of the arteries in the back part of the brain are no big deal. Sorry for misunderstanding -- I'm glad your FH / familial hypercholesterolemia was detected & can be managed. Without other findings, band and diplopia are unlikely to be serious ischemic disease, but are classic "functional". You're right to be concerned as such headaches, even if not "stroke", can disable.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
1
1
Provided original answer
43 years experience in Pathology
My mistake. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding -- so many people here report the MTHF mutation as a concern with stroke. Most strokes related to familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) are due to emboli from advanced plaques in the big arteries; these are dramatic events. You know the diplopia is a common feature of migraine auras, and the band-like pressure speaks against anatomic pathology.
Jun 22, 2017