Allentown, PA

I drank 300mg of coffee at 5-6 pm. now it's 1am and i can't sleep so i was wondering if i can take a melatonin pill of 6mg right now.

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Possible: I see no harm in trying this. Remember this and the next time you drink coffee keep it to the AM if your intentions are trying to get some sleep.
Dr. Bert Liang
Specializes in Neurology
Melatonin ok: It's ok to take it, but it tends to work best earlier in the evening. There are a number of things to address "sleep hygiene" with respect to getting a good night sleep; one of them is to avoid caffeinated beverages later on, as well as avoiding late night exercise and computer/electronic devices. Please see your local health care provider who can provide more information about these things.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017