OH

What does it mean if my parathyroid hormone is high (87.8pg/ml) and my blood calcium is normal (9.7mg/dl)? my vitamins d is slightly insufficient at 27.8ng/ml, and i do supplement it as i was directed to by my physician.

Dr. Donald Colantino
High pth: High pth with normal serum calcium level occasionally occurs with parathyroid adenomas. In these cases one theory is that it may be that calcium is sucked from the bones in an effort to maintain normal serum calcium levels. Have you been checked for osteoporosis or had your urinary calcium level checked? An endocrinologist is best qualified to evaluate you and answer your question.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Moinuddin Mokhashi
Pediatric Endocrinology 29 years experience
Low vitamin D: Most likely, the low vit D is causing your parathyroid hormone level to be high. Do supplement the vit D and repeat parathyroid hormone level when vitamin D is in 40-50 range.
Last updated May 24, 2017