U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Lorton, VA
A 38-year-old male asked:

I got an ear infection 2 weeks ago and ruptured my eardrum. went back to the family doctor yesterday and he said there's still a hole covering about 1/3 of eardrum. he referred me to an ent doctor. will i need to have surgery? i'm concerned.

3 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
The ENT doc will be: able to let you know. It can take a while to get to see a ENT or other specialist, so go ahead and make an appointment. If the hole is greater than a certain size it may never heal on its own completely. But healing may continue to occur while you're waiting to see the ENT who's in the best position to say if you need surgery . Meanwhile, keep water out of that ear. Dr. Anne
Dr. Dora Chizea
Anti-Aging Medicine 49 years experience
Not likely to need..: Most often, ruptured ear drums grow back on their own. One is not likely to need surgery (though there is a small chance for surgical repair if the rupture does not fully resolve). However, since one is seeing ENT Specialist , one can rest assured that he/she will do his/her best to preserve one's hearing function.
Dr. Julan Crane
Pediatrics 26 years experience
Ruptured ear drums : You may need a patch but perhaps it will still heal. Ruptured ear drums happens often and most heal without surgery
Last updated May 31, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.