U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Owings Mills, MD
A male asked:

I have pyloric stenosis surgery as a child and now i am 32. i have mild but daily heart burn. anything i should be aware of or do to correct this iss?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 37 years experience
Chronic Gerd.: You should see your doctor, or preferably a gastroenterologist, since your symptoms are occurring daily. Given your childhood history, the G.I. doctor may recommend that you have an EGD to look at the end of the stomach and see if there is any problem with outflow from the stomach. I suspect you may have just garden-variety acid reflux, however. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 48 years experience
Unrelated: This is unrelated to the childhood issue/surgery. You need to avoid either or caffeine, nicotine which are chemicals that aggravate this. Avoid laying down for an hour after eating. If these simple interventions do not help within 2 weeks, see your doc about the condition.If reflux is confirmed there are meds that can help.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 12, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.