AR

i sprained my ankle 3 days ago and began bearing full weight on it today. now its back swollen and is starting to bruise. did i start activity early?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Possibly: First I would just make sure you have been seen and had an xrays just to make sure you are not walking around with a fracture. If xrays negative, then yes it is not uncommon for people to try to increase their activities and if the pain and swelling worsen to conclude they did too much. You could just rest it more and then more gradually increase your activity when you are doing better.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management 27 years experience
Likely: Try some more rest, ice and elevation.

Last updated May 4, 2017