U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

I have chronic interstitial cystitis. tried several meds with limited success. is it normal to be on a pain medication such as norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) long term?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Abraham Morse
A Verified Doctoranswered
29 years experience
Most of the time : Other treatments can be found for ic. Consult a urologist or urogynecologist.
Dr. John Wilson
12 years experience
I wouldn't: I'd try Gabapentin or Lyrica (pregabalin) plus an antidepressant. I'd consider the implantable stimulators. I have seen patients have pain or frequency disappear. Urologist or pain physician would put them in. Norco long term will make pain worse and doesn't work for neuropathic pain anyway.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 23, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.