Lexington, KY

My 15yo son took augmentin for 10 days for a sinus and double ear infection.. just finished 10 day course and he is coughing with nasal and ear congestion again. no fever.. what should we do. he has a script for flonase, says it doesn't help. suggestion

Dr. Leah Alexander
Still congested: With sinus infections, it is important to decongest to remove the mucous that caused the infection in the first place. Flonase can help reduce swelling of the nasal turbinates, but it doesn't clear the mucous. I would recommend one of the antihistamine/pseudoephedrine products sure as Claritin D or Zyrtec D 12 hr. They will clear his congestion as the Augmentin does not.
Last updated Mar 9, 2017