Charlotte, NC

I dislocated my knee cap but when i fell it instantly went back into place. how long will i have to use the knee brace and crutches?

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Endocrinology 52 years experience
Dislocated knee cap: The time to control your knee cap is tough but at your age you will no doubt be told what you should or should not do for a few weeks. Annoying but necessary - you will get over this and your friends will be very happy. Wish you well!
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
4-6 weeks: Ideally, you would go 4-6 weeks before you fully flex your knee again. When you dislocate your knee, you tear some of the medial structures that hold it in place and they must heal to prevent persistent instability. Knee flexion puts a stress on the knee cap that forces it laterally and can cause these medial structures not to heal correctly.