Dallas, TX

currently have a low resting heart rate of 50-60 bpm. doc put me on 12.5 metoprolol succinate er. this won't make my heart stop will it?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
No, but discuss it: Always get full info on a new Rx - know the pros and cons, what to expect and do if there's a problem - in detail! Call to get this ASAP. The drug is for hi blood pressure and that can be very serious if untreated - so take efforts to understand all of this and advice on diet/exercise/life style/etc too. A full treatment program can make your life much better!
Dr. Donald Colantino
Bradycardia: Your heart rate is low normal for your age but what was the reason for the metoprolol? 12.5mgs is a low dose but I don't recommend lowering your rate under 50 as it could cause lightheadedness,low blood pressure or fatigue. This dose wouldn't make your heart stop. It would be prudent of to monitor your heart rate and blood pressure and omit the metoprolol if rate is less than 55 or bp under100 sys