I keep getting colds from my mother who has type 2 diabetes. do i get colds from her because her immune system is weaker?

Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 59 years experience
Hard to say: Immune impairment is not as evident in type II diabetes and thus I don't not believe that her immune status is the cause. I suspect that she has been in contact with a lot of people and particularly younger kids who are likely the source of the viral infection. In which case, improved hand hygiene (washing hands after contact) may help solve the problem.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 9, 2016