Lincoln, NE

If someone has glaucoma & surgery for macular pucker is performed how likely is it additional damage to optic nerve will be done during surgery?

Dr. Neil Notaroberto
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
Intra-Ocular surgery: may increase intraocular pressure (IOP). The great majority of the time it is not significant to cause appreciable damage to the optic nerve. Even with an intraocular gas bubble post op, the IOP can be controlled to ensure your safety.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
In my experience, it's not usually a concern controlling the Intraocular pressure but it's the visual field outcomes that disturb me greatly. It's not uncommon to see significant visual field defect increase following Epiretinal membrane peals. Unfortunately, this side effect still is difficult to lessen or avoid. Carefully counseling of patients prior to this surgery is imperative.
Jul 10, 2016

Last updated Nov 28, 2017