Nashville, TN

if you have a glutamate metabolism disorder...& then you eat a food high in glutamic acid (meat, gluten, casein..etc), what happens to you? symptoms?

Dr. Troy Ross
Occupational Medicine 24 years experience
A lot: Glutamate overall is an excitatory protein in the body. It stimulates the perception of taste and appetite. It also acts on the pancreas and liver. Our bodies need some but too much can cause a lot of different problems such as weight gain, diabetes, and neurotoxicity. In addition to avoiding high glutamate foods it is useful to consume extra carnitine (high in red meat) to counter the glutamate.