Cambridge, MA

I cut my arm saturday&i noticed this morning at 6 my arm was swollen around the area i cut . it's not painful but its still swollen. what should i do?

Dr. Ronan Monsef
Specializes in Family Medicine
See your doctor: You could have cellulitis. An infection of the skin and/or soft tissue.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
Watch for infection: Swelling after a cut is normal. But there is risk of infection. So you need to keep the cut area clean and put al bandaid or dressing on it so that it does not bump into anything. If the cut remains dry and does not ooze any fluid or puss, then it is healing ok. It takes 5-7 days for cuts to heal. During this time any fever, increasing redness or yellow discharge would indicate infection/need for.

Last updated Apr 9, 2013