NY

I took an aleve (naproxen) four hours ago for dental pain. is it safe to take ibuprofen now? the pain is back.

Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
Do not do it Dosing: Both are in the same class of drugs called NSAIDs. You were almost surely underdosed and that is why you are in pain. The dose is based on body weight. For Advil (ibuprofen) = Motrin =Ibuprofen you take 10 mg/kg/dose every 8 hours. Easiest way to take every 8 hours is 7 AM, 3 PM, 11 PM. Good luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 42 years experience
Too many meds...: ... and for what? You need to see a dentist to definitively treat the tooth. Please call yours for an appointment.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 55 years experience
Not safe: As Aleve and Ibuprofen are both NSAiDs, read package instructions which will tell you not to take another OTC pain killer for 12 hours. Pain killers will not heal an infected tooth. What you need isn't a pill. You need to see a Dentist, now, to have the damaged tooth treated..