FL

I cut my gum on a steak bone and the area is still open and i can see the bone or part of my tooth. doesn't seem to be infected but it is sore.

Dr. Katherine Caldwell
See a dentist: If you can see bone/tooth and it hurts, you should probably have a dentist take a look at it. You are at risk for infection.
Dr. Jennifer Gardner
I agree with Dr. Caldwell. I would also be concerned that part of the steak bone fractured/splintered and could be a nidus for infection. If there is fever, severe pain or swelling, yellow discharge, or extreme bad breath suspect an infection. Most mouth injuries heal well because the mouth is well vascularized.
Mar 29, 2016
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Please see dentist: If you've lacerated the gum near the tooth, it should be evaluated.
Last updated Feb 11, 2017