i cut my gum on a steak bone and the area is still open and i can see the bone or part of my tooth. doesn't seem to be infected but it is sore.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
16 years experience General Practice
See a dentist: If you can see bone/tooth and it hurts, you should probably have a dentist take a look at it. You are at risk for infection.
Answered on Feb 11, 2017
1
1
Dr. Jennifer Gardner
21 years experience Pediatrics
I agree with Dr. Caldwell. I would also be concerned that part of the steak bone fractured/splintered and could be a nidus for infection. If there is fever, severe pain or swelling, yellow discharge, or extreme bad breath suspect an infection. Most mouth injuries heal well because the mouth is well vascularized.
Mar 29, 2016
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Please see dentist: If you've lacerated the gum near the tooth, it should be evaluated.
Answered on Apr 3, 2016