Madison, WI

started budesonide (pulmicort) respules / ampules in saline (.5mg/2ml respules in 8oz saline) as a nasal irrigation / neti pot solution. 7 days later i developed a boil on my hip. is it possible that the boil was from budesonide immunosuppression?

Dr. Karen Butler
No: Separate issue. Be sure to see your doctor for that boil
Dr. Michael Jones
Doubtful: While steroids can, and certainly are, use as an immunosuppressant of sorts, the inhaled and nasal steroids are in a sense topical in that they are delivered to the lung/nasal tissues with fairly little systemic (bloodstream) absorption. While I suppose your theory is possible it is likely this boil was coming anyway.