Lake Oswego, OR

husband had acute liver failure, septic a year ago has cirrhosis .and still drinking alcohol. whats the risk of acute failure again? how soon?

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 35 years experience
It's likely.: In the setting of known cirrhosis, and a history of acute liver failure in the past, it is only a matter of time before it occurs again. If your husband does not seek out help to get off of alcohol, further liver problems are almost inevitable. It is impossible to predict how soon. Good luck in getting him help.
Dr. Roozbeh Badii
Very serious!: Cirrhosis is a very serious condition, whether acute or chronic. The danger of chronic cirrhosis is the liver will become "fatty" and will not function properly. The liver filters the blood of toxins and medications, as well as break down fats and proteins, and is also responsible for blood clotting. When someone with acute cirrhosis continues to drink alcohol, the liver will be destroyed.