U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old female asked about a 19-year-old female:

My obgyn gave me diflucan (fluconazole) to get rid of my yeast infection since it has been reoccurring. it came back, what else can she give me to keep it away?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Azole resistance?: If each yeast episode respond well, then you may need evaluation for underlying causes (especially diabetes, antibiotic treatment, etc). Or take fluconazole routinely once a week. If your yeast episodes don't get better with treatment, then you may have Candida glabrata, which is often resistant to fluconazole and all "azole" drugs. In that case, nystatin, caspofungin, or flucytosine might work.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 14, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.