U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Dayton, NV
A 23-year-old female asked:

Severe anxiety, medication not working anymore, and losing ability to cope. cannot handle children, work, and the like. what to do?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Gaffney
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Anxiety: Best option is to partner with your psychiatrist closely to develop a medication regimen and behavioral therapy to combat your anxiety. There are many combination therapies (eg, Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) or other SNRI + Lyrica or other GABA agonist) that can be employed to help your symptomatically. Hope that helps!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
A/W recommendation: to insure that your psychiatric medications are optomized. Use your support system. If you aren't working with a good therapist - strongly encourage that. You may need respite from childcare at times. Also, insure that insomnia is addressed - lack of sleep will only worsen your exhaustion. Take care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.