Australia

why when suffering from anorexia u can't see that from looking at a mirror how underweight u are and why body image is distorted. how can i see this ?

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine 45 years experience
An insightful ...: and, if you could answer it, a profoundly helpful question! Somehow, likely through specialized eating disorder therapy, you must relearn body image interpretation. There are specialized techniques in individual and group therapy that can help you change and modify the distortions you currently see. Ask your doctor for a referral to a treatment program specializing in Eating Disorders/Body Image.
Dr. Lacresha Hall
Distortion: Body image distortion is an unfortunately common part of having an eating disorder. It is important to remember that eating disorders are not about food, weight or body size but a manifestation of underlying issues. This is why it is important to work with a team consisting of a psychiatrist, dietician and therapist so that your distortions do not interfere with treatment.