United Kingdom

I went to a public toilet yesterday sat down and noticed blood on the edge of the seat if my vagina touched this could i have caught hiv?

Dr. Paul Williams
? risk of HIV: Unlikely. You would have needed to have an open sore on the vagina that contacted the blood in order to have the possibility of transmission. While HIV virus can survive in blood on objects, the virus is not very durable and will die quickly. I think your risk is extremely low.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Highly unlikely: This is not a likely way to contract HIV even if one assumes that the blood on the seat had HIV in it. In the future, do pay attention to the cleanliness of the seat. For example, using a sanitary wipe on the seat or using a disposable seat cover would have avoided the exposure.

Last updated Dec 3, 2015