Gambia

Hi! whenever i brush my teeth my gum starts to bleed, is that normal? p.s. i don't brush my teeth right after i eat.

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Not normal: Any bleeding, swelling, or pain should be immediately investigated. You may have gum disease (infection) and should be evaluated by a periodontist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Joe Armel
Dr. Joe Armel commented
Cosmetic Dentistry 50 years experience
Also, if you are flossing your teeth gently each day and the problem persists, then you must see your DDS asap.
Nov 28, 2015
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Not normal: Bleeding gums are a sign of inflammation. Please see a local dentist for an evaluation.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Gingivitis, See DDS: If you have painful or bleeding gums, it may be a sign that you are at risk for or already have gum infection. Gingivitis is a serious problem, which should be checked by a dentist. Do not delay.
Dr. Justin Nelson
Pediatric Dentistry 17 years experience
Yes: in all reality everyone bleeds a little....it depends on how much though. Do you floss?? Most likely you just have gingivitis which basically mean inflammation of your gums and when you brush them it causes it to bleed because they are inflammed. Just floss more, monitor your style of brushing as well as the type of brush (soft is recommended) and seek help if it persists
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 13 years experience
No but...: It is not normal to have teeth bleed after brushing but it almost always means that you are brushing properly and/or you need a really good cleaning. Plaque builds up along your teeth and gums and if you don't brush it ALL off it causes inflammation and then bleeding when you do try to get it off. You need a good cleaning then some better instruction on how to brush and of course do it daily :)
Last updated Feb 26, 2016